The project-based nature of the instruction at Elevate Elementary makes daily attendance extremely important. Being absent from school is the greatest single cause of failure. Every absence, even for part of the day, interferes with your child’s progress in school. Therefore, student(s) should not be absent unless it is absolutely necessary. Appointments, family vacations, and other activities should be scheduled during non-school hours whenever possible.
Students with perfect attendance will receive special recognition at the end of each trimester. To achieve perfect attendance, the student must have zero absences, no unexcused tardies, and no early dismissals.
Method of Verification
If your child is absent, you must communicate this with the office as soon as possible by contacting the office by call or text to 858.751.4774 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Elevate shall subsequently record the following:
- Name of student;
- Name of parent/guardian or parent representative;
- Name of verifying employee;
- Date or dates of absence; and
- Reason for absence.
When a child is absent, and the office has not received a communication from the parent/guardian about this, the School’s office staff will contact the parent/guardian to verify the absence. If the office has not received a communication from the parent/guardian within 3 days of the absence, the absence will be considered unexcused.
For frequent/recurring absences, the parent/guardian is expected to provide more information about the student’s absence. When a student has had 10 absences in the school year for illness verified by the method listed above without a healthcare provider's note, any further absences for illness must be verified by a healthcare provider.
For any planned absence of 3 or more days, families should make arrangements with the classroom teacher for the student to complete an Independent Study Contract (ISC). Please notify both the office and the classroom teacher at least 1 week in advance of the absence. These contracts must be completed in the office and signed before
the absence occurs. Completed work must be returned to the classroom teacher for evaluation within 5 school days of returning to school. Completing Independent Study during an extended absence will result in excused absences. A complete copy of the School’s Independent Study Policy may be requested at the main office.
Absences for these reasons will be excused:
- Personal Illness/Injury
- Quarantine under the direction of a county or city health officer
- Funeral attendance for a member of the immediate family
- Excused absence in this instance shall be limited to one day if the service is conducted in California or three days if the service is conducted out of state.
- "Immediate family" shall be defined as mother, father, grandmother, grandfather, spouse, son/son-in-law, daughter/daughter-in-law, brother, sister or any relative living in the student's immediate household.
- Observation of a religious holiday or participation in religious instruction or exercises in according the School policy
- The student shall be excused for this purpose on no more than 4 school days per month.
- Attendance at religious retreats for no more than four hours during a semester/trimester.
- Medical, dental, optometric, or chiropractic appointments (note from medical professional required upon return)
- Spending time with an immediate family member who is an active duty member of the uniformed services, and has been called to duty for, is on leave from, or has immediately returned from, deployment to a combat zone or combat support position.
- Excused absence in this instance shall be limited to 1 day if the immediate family member is in California or 3 days if located out of state.
- Independent Student Contract should be arranged for any absence three days or longer.
- Government orders for a student to be elsewhere (such as a court appearance)
- Attendance at the pupil’s naturalization ceremony to become a United States citizen.
Any absence that is not related to one of the previous-mentioned situations is an unexcused absence, including an absence from School without parental consent, vacations/activities, and other personal reasons.
Students will be allowed to leave School only with a parent/legal guardian, or another person designated in advance by a parent or legal guardian on the Student’s Emergency Contact List. Proper identification of the individual is required. Please make every effort to schedule appointments after dismissal time whenever possible to minimize time away from School. Students should remain in School before and after all appointments.
- Serra Mesa Campus Procedure - If your child needs to be excused early, go directly to the front office to advise a staff member of the reason for early dismissal. The student will be summoned to the office with his/her belongings.
- Tierrasanta Campus Procedure - If your student needs to be excused early, go directly to the Vista Grande office lobby and use the phone to call the Tierrasanta office (number is posted above the phone). Advise the staff member of the reason for early dismissal. A staff member will then walk your student to the Vista Grande lobby. Please note that it can take approximately 5 to 10 minutes for your student to arrive in the lobby after your phone call.
Tardiness and Truancy
School begins at 8:10 am at the Serra Mesa campus and 8:30 am at the Tierrasanta campus. A student arriving to school after 8:10 am will be considered “late” and after 8:40 am will be considered “tardy” at the Serra Mesa campus. A student arriving to school after 8:30 am will be considered “late” and after 9:00 am will be considered “tardy” at the Tierrasanta campus. All late and tardy students must report to the office to receive a tardy slip before being admitted to the classroom. Unexcused arrivals after the start of the day disrupt classroom instruction, impacting both the individual child’s learning and that of the entire class.
Students shall be classified as truant if the student is absent from school without a valid excuse 3 full days in one school year, or if the student is tardy or absent for more than any 30-minute period during the school day without a valid excuse on 3 occasions in one school year, or any combination thereof. Such students shall be reported to the Principal or designee.
In addition, students shall be classified as a chronically truant if the student is absent from school without a valid excuse for 10 percent or more of the school days in one school, from the date of enrollment to the current date.
Tardiness due to a doctor/dentist visit requires a note from the doctor’s office upon return.
At the Tierrasanta campus only: If students arrive after 8:40 am, please walk them into the lobby of the Vista Grande office. Use your cell phone or the phone in that lobby to call our Tierrasanta office (the office number is posted above the phone). An Elevate staff member will then meet you in the lobby to walk your student up to class.