The project-based nature of the instruction at Elevate Elementary makes daily attendance extremely important. Being absent from school is the greatest single cause of failure. Every absence, even for part of the day, interferes with your child’s progress in school. Therefore, student(s) should not be absent unless it is absolutely necessary. Appointments, family vacations, and other activities should be scheduled during non-school hours whenever possible.
Students with perfect attendance will receive special recognition by Principal Elliott. To achieve perfect attendance, the student must have zero absences, no unexcused tardies, and no early dismissals.
If your child is absent, you must communicate this with the office no later than the morning of the absence by contacting the office by call or text to 858.751.4774 or by email to email@example.com
. Also include the general reason, as each absence is required to be coded accurately.
When a child is absent and the office has not received a communication from the parent/guardian about this, the school’s office staff will contact the parent/guardian to verify the absence. If the office has not received a communication from the parent/guardian within 3 days of the absence, the absence will be considered unexcused.
For frequent/recurring absences, the parent/guardian is expected to provide more information about the student’s absence.
For any planned absence of 3 or more days, families should make arrangements with the classroom teacher for the student to complete an Independent Study Contract. Please notify both the office and the classroom teacher at least one week in advance of the absence. These contracts must be completed in the office and signed before the absence occurs. Completed work must be returned to the classroom teacher for evaluation within 5 school days of returning to school.
- Absences for these reasons will be excused:
- Personal Illness/Injury
- Funeral attendance
- Observation of a religious holiday
- Medical or dental appointment (note from medical professional required upon return)
- Spending time with an immediate family member who is an active duty member of the uniformed services, and has been called to duty for, is on leave from, or has immediately returned from, deployment to a combat zone or combat support position.
- Government orders for a student to be elsewhere (such as a court appearance)
Any absence that is not related to one of the previous-mentioned situations is an unexcused absence, including absence from school without parental consent, vacations/activities, and other personal reasons.
Students will be allowed to leave school only with a parent/legal guardian, or another person designated in advance by a parent or legal guardian. Proper identification of the individual is required. Please make every effort to schedule appointments after dismissal time whenever possible to minimize time away from school. Students should remain in school before and after all appointments.
- Serra Mesa Campus Procedure - If your child needs to be excused early, go directly to the front office to advise a staff member of the reason for early dismissal. The student will be summoned to the office with his/her belongings.
- Tierrasanta Campus Procedure - If your student needs to be excused early, go directly to the lobby of Vista Grande office and use the phone to call the Tierrasanta office (number is posted above the phone). Advise the staff member of the reason for early dismissal. A staff member will then walk your student to the Vista Grande lobby. Please note that it can take approximately 5 to 10 minutes for your student to arrive in the lobby after your phone call.
A student arriving to school after 8:10 am at the Serra Mesa campus or 8:30 am at the Tierrasanta campus is considered tardy and must report to the office to receive a tardy slip before being admitted to the classroom. Unexcused arrivals after the start of the day disrupt classroom instruction, impacting both the individual child’s learning along with that of the entire class.
If a student is tardy three times (unexcused) within a trimester, s/he will receive a recess detention. Each subsequent tardy within that trimester will result in the same consequence. Please support your children by arriving to school on time and establishing promptness in their daily schedules.
Tardiness due to a doctor/dentist visit requires a note from the doctor’s office upon return.
At the Tierrasanta campus only: If students arrive after 8:40 am, please walk them into the lobby of the Vista Grande office. Use the phone in that lobby to call our Tierrasanta office (the office number is posted above the phone). An Elevate staff member will then meet you in the lobby to walk your student up to class.