Serra Mesa Drop-off & Pick-up Procedures
Note: At the start of the 22-23 school, families are strongly advised to use the drive-through drop-off and pick-up line, as parents will not be allowed onto the blacktop during arrival or dismissal.
We have made tremendous strides in ensuring that students are safely dropped off and picked up each day. Thank you to the many parents who assist each day, have provided helpful feedback, and who are opting to park and walk in the afternoon to alleviate backup on Murray Ridge Road.
- Out of consideration for the rest of our school community, always turn right as you leave campus onto Murray Ridge Road to prevent additional back-up and delay inside the lot.
- Always drive slowly in the parking lot and surrounding neighborhood and refrain from using cell phones.
- Please keep the center crosswalk clear for parents who are escorting their children to parked vehicles.
- If parking on the surrounding streets, do not block driveways, respect yards, keep an appropriate noise level, refrain from littering - let's be great neighbors!
- Please follow the instructions of the Parking Lot Safety Team whose purpose is to maintain safety for all and help to make drop-off and pick-up as smooth as possible.
You may choose to park and walk your students to the entry gate or use our drive-thru drop-off lanes.
- Parents who choose to park and walk with their students should bring them to the entry gate and say goodbye, rather than walking children to their classrooms. Kindergarten parents may stay with students and walk them to class for the first week, but are asked to say goodbye at the gate after this time to encourage acclimation to school procedures and culture.
- Students may be dropped off beginning at 7:50 am and may not be left unattended before this time. If students need to be dropped off before this time, you may take advantage of our Before-School Program.
- If you choose to use the drop-off lanes, please follow the signs in the parking lot and the directions of the Parking Lot Safety Team.
- A child arriving to school after 8:10 am is considered tardy and must report to the office to receive a tardy slip before being admitted to the classroom.
Afternoon Drive-through Pick-up:
- Parents who opt to use the pick-up lane may begin lining up between 2:35-2:40 (or 12:50-12:55 on Minimum Thursdays) to eliminate the number of cars backed up on Murray Ridge Road. There is no need to arrive early, as students are not released until dismissal time and pick-up for the entire school takes approximately 10-12 minutes.
- Vehicles will be split into two lanes and the front six vehicles loaded simultaneously. At dismissal time, students' names will be called in the order that cars are lined up and they will be escorted to their vehicles by an adult.
- Please be sure to have the student’s grade, teacher, last name, and first name clearly marked on your window hanger. Extra window hangers can be obtained from the office.
Please note: If a person besides the parent/guardian is picking up the student during school hours, their name must be included on the student's approved pick-up list and will need to provide government issued identification when checking in at the office.
Thanks to all for considering the benefit your choices can have on our community!